Jan. ’87 to June ‘90
Mobil Oil & Alberta Energy [Calgary, Alberta, Canada]
- Company: Oil Exploration, Gas Exploration, Pulp & Paper Processing
- Position: Supervisor, Data Centre
- Supervised staff of 12 who were responsible for the operation & technical support of the company’s mainframe & Unix systems
- Mainframe & DASD performance monitoring and capacity planning
- Hardware recommendations & implementation
- Software recommendations & installation
- Budget accountability CDN 3 million
- Position: Supervisor, Technical Support (15 months)
- Supervised staff of 12 who were responsible for the technical support of the company’s supercomputer, mainframe & Unix systems
- Implemented Mainframe & Unix security policies/procedures/software
- Capacity planning
- Hardware & software recommendations
- Technical strategy
- Budget accountability CDN 1.5 million.
Dec. ’84 to Dec. ‘86
Cantel Inc [Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
- Company: Mobile Telephone Carrier
- Position: Manager, Technical Support & Acting Manager, Application Development
- Managed full-time staff of 4 plus a number of software companies and suppliers
- Established all operating systems and software for the company’s new mainframe systems (IBM systems using VM, MVS & DOS/VSE)
- Coordinated systems integration of minicomputer systems with the Ericsson Exchange Switches (data upload & download) and the telecom billing system software
- Coordinated project to migrate telecom billing system software from DOS/VSE to MVS/SP
- Ensured all software systems fully operational the date the company ‘launched’ its service
- Assisted MIS Director in preparation of 5 year IT Strategic Plan
- Prepared recommendation for migration of systems to parent company’s systems (when Cantel was acquired by Rogers Cable)
- Budget accountability CDN 1.1 million.
May ’78 to Nov. ‘84
Prentice-Hall Canada Inc. [Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
- Company: Canada’s leading producer of text books for the school, college & university markets
- Position: Manager, Computer Services
- Started with Prentice-Hall as a computer operator & programmer when it was run by a service bureau
- Held various positions in this service bureau until September 1982 when I was appointed IT Manager by Prentice-Hall to repatriated all systems from the service bureau to an in-house operation at Prentice-Hall
- Hired all staff; built data centre; budgeted and recommended all hardware & software; developed IT strategic plans
- Implemented database systems (Model 204) and coordinated all development efforts
- Implemented LAN & some of the first 3270 PC systems in Canada
- Managed staff of 16
- Budget accountability CDN 700,000 (not including capital budget).
Jan. ’77 to Apr. ‘78
Workers Compensation Board [Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
- Company: Federal Government organization responsible for providing insurance to employers for employees.
- Position: Senior Computer Operator
- Computer operator for IBM mainframe systems (VM, CMS, OS/VS1, DOS/VS, POWER/VS, and CICS/BTAM)
- Promoted from an Intermediate to a Senior Computer Operator within a very short space of time.
May to Dec. 1976
Canada Packers [Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
- Company: Meat packing and processing.
- Position: Computer Operator
- Computer operator for IBM mainframe systems (OS/VS1).